When learning how to read knitting patterns, most people’s journey looks similar.
- First, you learn to knit basic stitches.
- Next, you start knitting simple size-less items like blankets and scarfs.
- After that, you take the dive into knitting patterns.
The problem is, that leap from step 2 to step 3 is big. Knitting patterns use weird jargon, abbreviations, and reference things like gauge that you may not have ever dealt with before.
This is why I created my ebook, How to Read Knitting Patterns.
We all started somewhere
What’s that one thing you don’t understand when you read a knitting pattern?
Gauge? Ease? Sizes? Stitch abbreviations? Blocking?
Maybe it’s all of the above (or more!). There’s nothing to be embarrassed about. We all started somewhere when it comes to reading patterns.
But what if you could skip all the trial-and-error, wasted yarn, and scrapped projects? What if you could just skip to the fun part… making patterns?
In it, I break down knitting patterns piece-by-piece. I cover every section, every tip and trick, and every question you have that’s keeping you from making ALL the patterns.
Does this sound like you?
- You know basic knitting stitches.
- You’ve tried using a pattern, but it never seems to look right.
- You usually ignore the part of a pattern that mentions gauge.
- You don’t know why your garments never fit correctly.
- You’ve heard blocking is important, but don’t know how to do it (or don’t want to bother).
- You tend to stick to one-size-fits-all patterns.
Or maybe you just want to start writing your very own knitting patterns.
If any (or all) of those ring a bell, then this ebook is a must-have! It includes over 40 pages of information – all of the nitty-gritty stuff that no one tells you about reading a knitting pattern.
From materials to sizing, blocking your project, and deciphering all those little notes and abbreviations, this ebook will quickly bring you up to speed so you can feel confident in your pattern-reading skills.
What You’ll Learn
This ebook is packed full of all the useful tips I wish I had known before I started using knitting patterns. Learn from me and skip all those trial and error moments and wasted projects. You don’t have to learn that way!
Inside the ebook, you’ll learn:
- Which yarn, needles, and tools you need (including how to use a different yarn and still have it turn out the right size!)
- Stitch repeats, ease, and how sizes are noted
- Why you need a gauge swatch, and how to make and measure one (along with what to do if it doesn’t match the pattern!)
- Special stitches and repeated patterns
- How to read line-by-line instructions (broken down using examples from real-life patterns!)
- Assembly and finishing touches
- The 3 ways to block your project (including which is the fastest and which is the safest!)
- And tons more tips and tricks!
On top of that, I’ve thrown in some fun freebies!
Included with your How to Read Knitting Patterns ebook, you’ll receive:
- A free set of printable yarn jargon cheat sheets so you can quickly decipher common abbreviations, UK vs US conversions, and more
- A gauge calculator so you don’t have to do any math.
- A coupon code for a free PDF pattern of your choice to get you started on your pattern-making journey!
If you’re a beginner knitter who knows the basic stitches, this ebook is for you! It’s time to invest in yourself and your hobby so you won’t be held back by confusing knitting patterns ever again.
Is this ebook for you?
While this ebook will be a wonderful resource for many new knitters, it isn’t for everyone.
This ebook is not for you if…
- You have been using knitting patterns for years.
- You know how to calculate yarn yardage.
- You understand how to adjust the ease of a pattern.
- You can create and measure a gauge swatch.
- You know how to read stitch abbreviations.
If that sounds like you, then go ahead and get back to your day. But if not, then this is definitely written with you in mind!
Sample Chapter: All About Gauge
Don’t take my word for it – I’ve included a sample chapter from my ebook right here on the blog so you can check it out and see if it’s right for you.
In this blog post, taken directly from the ebook, you’ll learn all about gauge – what it is, why it’s important, how to make it, and how to measure it. I’ll even cover what to do when your gauge swatch doesn’t match the one in the pattern. Go check it out!
An Amazing Gift
Even if you’re a pattern-reading pro, this ebook would make a fabulous gift for the beginner knitter in your life.
Purchase the PDF, print it out, and pair it with some yarn and needles. Your crafty friend will be amazed at your thoughtfulness and excited to advance their craft. This is a sure-fire win in the gift department.
Frequently Asked Questions
I literally just know the basic stitches. Will this help me?
- It won’t help you learn additional stitches, but it will help you use the stitches you already know to create awesome projects using a pattern!
Does it come as a physical book?
- Nope! It’s a 40+ page PDF file that you download and can read on your computer, e-reader, or phone. You could also print it out if you’d like.
I like to knit and crochet. Should I get both books?
- While some of the information in the ebooks is the same, much of it varies by craft, especially the sections that break down real-life patterns. If you’d like to get both ebooks, you can grab them here for a discounted price of only $12 for the second book.
How do I know this book is right for me?
- If you know basic stitches, but can’t quite figure out how to get your patterns to turn out right, this is for you! If you don’t know how to create a gauge swatch or block your items, this is for you! If you want to start writing your own patterns, this is for you!
What if I buy it and don’t like it?
- I want every person who buys this ebook to find it enlightening, educational, and valuable! If you find that isn’t the case, I will gladly refund you 100% of the purchase price (within 30 days).
I may not have covered every question possible, so if you have any additional ones, please direct them to [email protected]. I would be happy to answer your questions right away!
You want to Learn Crochet?
I wrote an ebook for crocheters too! Read all about my How to Read Crochet Patterns Ebook here.
If you made it this far, I know that you’re ready to take the next step. This ebook will completely change your knitting game. I wish these existed when I was a beginner because it would’ve saved me a lot of time, headaches, Googling, and a whole lot of mistakes.