The Peek-a-Boo baby crochet hat is an easy, chunky, beginner crochet hat pattern. It’s available in preemie, baby, toddler and child sizes so you can make one for everyone in the family.
The super bulky yarn makes it very quick crochet. You can finish 2 in an hour. If you sell at craft fairs, you probably know how useful that is! And even if you don’t, who doesn’t like to get their Christmas gift prep done in no time?
No time right now? Pin this cute crochet baby hat pattern for later!
*This post contains affiliate links (only for products I love, use and spend my own money on obviously). This means I earn some yarn money if you make a purchase through one of these links (of course at no extra cost for you!), which I promise to use to create more awesome patterns like this one. In addition, some posts are sponsored by yarn companies. All opinions are my own. See my full disclosure here.
Scroll down for the free version but if you prefer to purchase the cheap ad-free PDF Pattern to get all the instructions and pictures in a nice PDF you can print and take notes on without relying on your phone or an internet connection, I’ve got you covered!
Before You Start
What you’ll need to make your crochet beanie
- 10 mm / US N/P – 15 crochet hook. I have this plastic set of big crochet hooks that are very comfortable to work with, plus they have some glitter in the plastic which is always fun.
- Weight 6 super bulky yarn. You can use Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick or some equivalent yarn.
- Tapestry needle to weave in the ends. I love this set as it has different eye sizes for different yarn thickness and it comes in a small tube which is very convenient so I don’t lose them.
Measurements for the Different Sizes
The pattern is graded for size preemie to child.
- Preemie size has a diameter of 32 cm / 12.5″
- Baby size has a diameter of 36 cm / 14″
- Toddler size has a diameter of 45 cm / 17.75″
- Child size has a diameter of 52 cm / 20.5″
The pictures illustrate the toddler size.
Abbreviations & Gauge
This pattern follows US notations
- st = stitch
- sc = single crochet
- ch = chain
- hdc = half double crochet
- inc = increase = make 2 sc in the same stitch
- dec = decrease = single crochet the next 2 stitches together
- miss 1 = skip 1 stitch
Gauge in rows of sc is 8st by 9 rows for a 10 cm / 4” square
Repeat instructions between ** the indicated number of times or until the end of the round.
The Actual Crochet Baby Hat Pattern
The hat is worked in the round. At the end of a round, just start working into the 1st stitch, no need to do a slip stitch to close the round. Keep working in spiral unless mentioned otherwise.
In a magic circle make 6 sc
Round 1: inc in each st (12 st)
Round 2: * sc, inc * 6 times (18 st)
Round 3: * 2sc, inc * 6 times (24 st)
For preemie size, skip rounds 4 to 6 and continue with round 7.
Round 4: * 3sc, inc * 6 times (30 st)
For baby size, skip rounds 5 to 6 and continue with round 7.
Round 5: * 4sc, inc * 6 times (36 st)
For toddler size, skip round 6 and continue with round 7.
Round 6: * 5sc, inc * 6 times (42 st)
Round 7: sc around
Round 8: * 2 (3, 4, 5) dc, dec* 6 times
Round 9: sc around
Round 10: dc around
Round 11: sc around
For toddler and child size Repeat rows 10 and 11 one more time.
Round 12: *hdc, ch 1, miss 1* repeat around, slip stitch in the first hdc to close the round, ch 1
Round 13: sc around.
Bind off and weave in the ends.
If you enjoyed this pattern, share it with your yarn loving friends!