This Simple Lacy stitch is a light airy knit stitch pattern that works up easily and makes a simple lacy pattern. The best part is, it’s completely reversible, so there’s no “right side”. In fact, the “wrong side” is my favorite side!
This simple open stitch makes it perfect for summery garments and accessories. Learn how to make this stitch with my easy step-by-step knitting stitch pattern below.
No time right now? Pin this unique knit stitch pattern for later!
*This post contains affiliate links (only for products I love, use and spend my own money on obviously). This means I earn some yarn money if you make a purchase through one of these links (of course at no extra cost for you!), which I promise to use to create more awesome patterns like this one. All opinions are my own. See my full disclosure here.
What to Make with the Simple Lacy Stitch
The stitch is completely reversible which makes it great for summer accessories, swimsuit cover-ups, and as an accent in summer garments.
I’ve use it for example in the lacy headband.
The prettiest side of this stitch is the wrong side (uneven rows).
Knit Stitch Bundle
This easy knit stitch is part of a fun stitch exploration. You can find all 10 stitches here.
Or grab the convenient PDF bundle with all stitch patterns here.
Before You Start
- 4.5 mm / US 7 knitting needles. I use circular needles for convenience but you can use straight needles. Confused about all these types of knitting needles? Here’s a complete overview that will answer all your questions.
- Worsted weight Zeeman Royal yarn (100% acrylic, 241m / 264yd, 100g)
- Tapestry needle to weave in the ends. I love this set as it has different eye sizes for different yarn thicknesses and it comes in a small tube which is very convenient so I don’t lose them.
Because the yarn I used is not available everywhere, and I know how painful it is to try to find equivalent yarn which will give you the same effect I have selected a few equivalent yarns for you. I haven’t tried them out myself, but they look so pretty, check them out!
- Lion Brand Wool-Ease They have this yarn in about 20 colors, I’m sure you’ll fall in love with more than one.
- La Mia Just Wool
- RED HEART Super Saver Yarn. This yarn also exists in more than 60 colors.
The pattern is written for a 15cm by 15cm / 6” by 6” square.
You can easily adapt the size to your desired project size. The pattern needs a multiple of 2 + 4 number of stitches.
The gauge for this pattern, in stockinette stitch, is 18.5 st by 29 rows for a 10 cm by 10 cm square (4” by 4”).
Confused on how to make or measure gauge? Check out my detailed post all about knitting gauge.
Abbreviations & Instructions
- st = stitch
- k = knit (k2 means knit 2 stitches)
- k2tog = knit 2 stitches together
- yo = yarn over
Repeat instructions between [ ] the indicated number of times or until the end of the round/row.
The final number of stitches is indicated at the end of the round/row between < >.
The Actual Knit Stitch Pattern
Cast on 28 stitches.
Row 1: k2, [yo, k2tog], k2
Row 2: k across
Row 3: k3, [yo, k2tog], k1
Row 4: k across
Repeat Rows 1 to 4 until you reach 15 cm / 6”.
Make sure you finish with a Row 2 or 4.
Cast off and weave in the ends.
Blocking and Assembly
You’re done with the knitting part. Make sure to weave in all the ends.
To make your stitch pattern even prettier and help straighten your edges block your project lightly. Don’t skip this step as it can make a huge difference. Read my detailed tutorial on why block, how-to, and all my tips and tricks if you need help.