To go with my simple mittens I needed an easy hat knitting pattern. We went on a trip over the holidays and I worried it was going to be cold!
No time right now? Pin this simple hat knitting pattern for later
*This post contains affiliate links (only for products I love, use and spend my own money on obviously). This means I earn some yarn money if you make a purchase through one of these links (of course at no extra cost for you!), which I promise to use to create more awesome patterns like this one. All opinions are my own. See my full disclosure here.
I wanted a simple design, that would go with all my outfits. The light grey color was perfect for this. I always had mine in the bottom of my handbag during our holiday and it was so convenient! Warm, cozy and comfy.
It is also perfect to make as a gift. It is very simple so it is an ideal pattern to try out or perfect your double-pointed needles skills.
The simple hat design is very sober and can easily be used for men and woman depending on the yarn color chosen of course.
Scroll down for the free version but I recommend you purchase the ad-free PDF Pattern to get all the instructions and pictures in a nice PDF you can print and take notes on without relying on your phone or an internet connection, I’ve got you covered!
More Accessories You'll Love View All
Before you Start
- 5mm / US 8 and 6mm / US 10 double-pointed needles. If you are new to double pointed needles or don’t have the right size, I use and recommend this very cheap set. Although they are not the prettiest, I prefer using stainless steel needles as the yarn slides better on them and with this set you have all sizes so you are set for any project.
- Nice, soft, chunky weight 5 yarn (a little over 1/2 skein). I used Julia yarn from Zeeman in light grey.
- Stitch marker
- Stitch holder
- Tapestry needle to weave in the ends. I love this set as it has different eye sizes for different yarn thickness and it comes in a small tube which is very convenient so I don’t lose them.
Because the yarn I used is not available everywhere, and I know how painful it is to try to find equivalent yarn which will give you the same effect I have selected a few equivalent yarns for you.
- Paintbox Yarns Simply Chunky: Out of the 50 shades they offer I’m sure you’ll find what you need.
- Lion Brand Color Made Easy: Soft and trendy colors
- Brava Bulky Yarn: A very affordable alternative
- k = knit
- p = purl
- k2tog = knit 2 stitches together
- ssk = slip slip knit
Finished Easy Hat Knitting Pattern Size
You can easily adjust the size by adding or removing a multiple of 4 stitches.
Gauge is not critical for this pattern.
The Actual Simple Hat Knitting Pattern
It’s such an easy pattern that I wouldn’t know how to split it up in sections.
On 4 5mm / US 8 double-pointed needles, cast on 100 stitches (25 stitches per needle).
K1, p1, repeat around until you reach 10cm (22 rows).
Switch to 4 6mm / US 9 double-pointed needles.
Knit until the total length is 20 cm (21 rounds).
Now we need to make decreases to give it it’s hat shape.
On each needle do the following decreases:
- ssk, knit 21, k2tog
- ssk, knit 19, k2tog
- ssk, knit 17, k2tog
- ssk, knit 15, k2tog
- ssk, knit 13, k2tog
- ssk, knit 11, k2tog
- ssk, knit 9, k2tog
With a tapestry needle, pull the yarn through all the remaining stitches. Pull tight, closing the hole.
Secure and weave in the ends.
That’s it! You’re done!
If you like this pattern, don’t forget to pin it for later and share it with other yarn addicts.