I love the wrong side of a striped garter stitch so much I decided it deserved to be the right side of a pattern.
This reversible chunky knit blanket pattern (you get the mixed color effect on both sides!) is perfect for beginners. The only stitch you need is the knit stitch. The intricate-looking color mixes are simply achieved by switching yarn colors every few rows.
No time right now? Pin this chunky knit blanket pattern for later!
The blend of colors was inspired by the sky at sunset after a beautiful day. When the bleu mixes into pink and yellows with white clouds and you can’t separate each color anymore.
The chunky soft yarn and garter stitch squish give this blanket the perfect coziness.
Scroll down for the free version but I recommend you purchase the ad-free PDF Pattern to get all the instructions and pictures in a nice PDF you can print and take notes on without relying on your phone or an internet connection, I’ve got you covered!
*This post contains affiliate links (only for products I love, use and spend my own money on obviously). This means I earn some yarn money if you make a purchase through one of these links (of course at no extra cost for you!), which I promise to use to create more awesome patterns like this one. In addition, some posts are sponsored by yarn companies. All opinions are my own. See my full disclosure here.
If you enjoy this easy knit blanket pattern, have a look at my other blanket patterns.
Before you Start
- 7 mm / US 10.5 knitting needles
- Chunky weight yarn: Julia Zeeman yarn (80% acrylic 20% wool, 100g, 170 m / 186 yards):
- 2 skeins each of pink, offwhite and mustard
- 3 skeins of blue
- Tapestry needle to weave in the ends. I love this set as it has different eye sizes for different yarn thicknesses and it comes in a small tube which is very convenient so I don’t lose them.
Because the yarn I used is not available everywhere, and I know how painful it is to try to find equivalent yarn which will give you the same effect I have selected a few equivalent yarns for you.
- Paintbox Yarns Simply Chunky: Out of the 50 shades they offer I’m sure you’ll find what you need.
- Lion Brand Color Made Easy: Soft and trendy colors
- Brava Bulky Yarn: A very affordable alternative
The blanket is 110 cm / 43.25” by 130 cm / 51.25”.
You can easily adjust the size to your liking:
- For the width: add/remove 12.5 st per 10 cm / 4”.
- For the length: Keep repeating until desired length minus 4 cm / 1.5” for the blue border.
- Don’t forget to adjust the yarn quantities you need too.
Here is a table of standard blanket sizes to guide you.
- st = stitch
- garter st = knit on both sides of the project.
Repeat instructions between  the indicated number of times or until the end of the row.
Gauge is not important for this pattern. As an indication, with 7 mm / US 10.5 needles, the gauge in garter stitch is 12.5 st by 24 rows for a 10 cm / 4” square.
Tips and Tricks
- To make your life easier and avoid weaving in endless ends, don’t cut the yarn after each color section but carry over the yarn on the side. This will give you a bit of a multicolor twisted edge which I actually like.
The Actual Chunky Knit Blanket Pattern
On 7mm / US 10.5 knitting needles with blue yarn cast on 140 st.
Knit 10 rows.
Switch to white color yarn.
Knit 3 rows.
Switch to pink
Knit 3 rows
Switch to yellow
Knit 3 rows
From now on you will switch to the color available on the side you finished. This will create a rotation in the order of the colors.
On one side you will have 2 colors to choose from, pick the one you haven’t used for the longest.
[Knit 3 rows then switch color]. Repeat until you reach 126 cm / 49.5”.
Switch back to the blue color yarn, knit 10 rows. Cast off and weave in the ends.
Blocking is not crucial for this blanket. In all honesty, I didn’t block mine.
However, it’s always a good practice to do so. Read my detailed tutorial on why block, how-to, and all my tips and tricks if you need help.
Make 4 tassels (10 cm / 4” long) in the blue yarn and attach one at each corner.