A new easy chunky knit hat pattern, the Charlie Chunky Beanie, is now a free hat knitting pattern here on the blog. Read all about the inspiration, yarn and set it is a part of, or scroll down for the free knit pattern.
No time right now? Pin this easy hat knitting pattern for later!
*This post contains affiliate links (only for products I love, use and spend my own money on obviously). This means I earn some yarn money if you make a purchase through one of these links (of course at no extra cost for you!), which I promise to use to create more awesome patterns like this one. All opinions are my own. See my full disclosure here.
The Charlie Chunky Beanie is a cozy classic hat knitting pattern. Perfectly unisex, it comes in sizes 51 cm / 20″ to 63 cm / 24.75″ head circumference to fit most adults.
Worked up in super bulky yarn, it makes the perfect last-minute gift you can whip up in an hour or two. It’s worked in the round on circular needles (optional double pointed needles) so it’s perfectly seamless. Perfect for beginners learning to work in the round!
Charlie Accessories Knitting Pattern Set
The Chunky Charlie Beanie knitting pattern is part of a matching hat, cowl and mittens set.
Simple and unisex, make 1, 2 or all 3 pieces of the Charlie Set for a quick handmade gift!
Quick & Easy
I’ve been wanting to design a super quick and easy accessories set in super bulky yarn for a while now. Something similar to the Simple Hat & Mittens but even quicker to make. I’ve had the leftover yarn from the Apricity Cardigan saved for this for way to long to admit but It’s finally here!!
The entire set is designed to be classic, timeless and easy to knit. Worked in the round (on circular needles) it’s completely seamless. If you’re not used to knit on circular needles, the Charlie set is a great place to start!
Each piece is sized to fit both men and women standard sizes so it’s completely unisex.
You can find the free patterns here on the blog:
I love the color combo I used for the Apricity Cardigan so much, I knew as soon as it was finished that I needed accessories set with the same color combo.
The yarn I used is the popular LionBrand Wool Ease Thick & Quick in Seafoam and Succulent colors. I love how the mixed color seafoam has strands of succulent making it a perfect match.
Here are a few other color combo ideas based on the same concept:
- Glacier with arctic ice
- marble with black
- market spice and mustard
- fern and grass green
- coney island and pumpkin spice
And many more!
Chunky Hat Knitting Pattern Downloadable PDF
Why I Recommend You Purchase the PDF Pattern
If you’ve never used PDF patterns before, you are missing out on so much convenience!
- You don’t need to take screenshots of the pattern
- You don’t need to have your computer, phone or tablet around to work on your project.
- You don’t need to panic if your husband accidentally closed the page
- You can take notes, highlight your size and write down where you are.
- When your best friend begs you to make her the same sweater, you have the pattern ready.
- It’s a great way to support the blog so I can continue to bring you knitting tutorials.
Before you Start your Easy Hat Knitting Pattern
- 8 mm / US 11 circular knitting needles (or double pointed needles)
- 10 mm / US 15 circular knitting needles (or double pointed needles)
- LionBrand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick (Super bulky weight 6, 80% acrylic, 20% wool, 97m/106yd, 170g/6oz):
- Succulent (Color A): 1 skein
- Seafoam (Color B): 1 skein
- Tapestry needle to weave in the ends
The easy hat knitting pattern free is available in the following sizes: S, M and L. Sizes are noted throughout the pattern in the following way: S (M, L). The pictures illustrate the S size.
The hat is designed to fit following head circumferences:
- S: 51 – 55 cm / 20 – 21.5”
- M: 55 – 59 cm / 21.5 – 23”
- L: 59 – 63 cm / 23 – 24.75”
The gauge for this pattern, in stockinette stitch on 8 mm / US 11 needles, is 9 st by 13 rows for a 10 cm by 10 cm square (4” by 4”).
Abbreviations & Instructions
- st = stitch
- k = knit
- p = purl
- k2tog = knit 2 stitches together, single right-leaning decrease
Repeat instructions between  the indicated number of times or until the end of the round/row.
The final number of stitches is indicated at the end of the round/row between < >.
Special Stitches and Techniques
- Stockinette stitch:
- Flat: knit on the right side, purl on the wrong side.
- In the round: knit all rounds.
- The hat is worked in the round. You can choose to either work with very short needles and cables, use the magic loop technique or double pointed needles. I used the magic loop technique, if you’re not familiar with the magic loop technique, this tutorial will help you.
The hat is worked in the round from the bottom up. Starting with the 1×1 ribbing for the simple brim then changing needle size for the rest of the hat.
The Actual Chunky Hat Knitting Pattern
With your 8 mm / US 11 needles and color B cast on 48 (52, 56) st and join in the round.
[K1, p1] around for 8 cm / 3”.
Switch to color A and 10 mm / US 15 needles.
Knit in the round for 12 cm/4.75”.
Decrease round: [ssk, k8 (9, 10), k2tog] four times. <40 (44, 48) st>
Knit 2 rounds.
Work crown decreases as follows:
- L only: [K2tog, k10] around. < X (X, 44) st>
Knit one round.
- M and L only: [K2tog, k9] around. < X (40, 40) st>
Knit one round
- All sizes:
- [K2tog, k3] around. < 32 (32, 32) st>
- [K2tog, k2] around. <24 (24, 24) st>
- [K2tog, k1] around. <16 (16, 16) st>
- K2tog around. <8 (8, 8) st>
With your tapestry needle thread through all remaining stitches and pull tightly.
Weave in all ends.
You’re done with the knitting part of the easy hat knitting pattern free. Make sure to weave in all the ends.
To make your hat even prettier, help even your stitches and make the textures come out even more, block your project.
Don’t skip this step as it can make a huge difference. Read my detailed tutorial on why block, how-to, and all my tips and tricks if you need help.
As part of Marly Bird’s 24 Days of Quickies, you can grab the Charlie Chunky Beanie as a free PDF download by clicking the image below